Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Today I feel like Cinderella


Today, one of my dearest friends took my breath away.

I was asked to be her bridesmaid. An ordinary, everyday occurrence you say. Maybe for most, but for me, I feel like Cinderella when she was told she could go to the ball.

When people tell you they are getting married, you are pleased for them. It is a monumental decision that brings two people in love closer together and their lives are filled with hope and happiness. You are glad to be invited to share their special day with all their family and friends that they have accumulated along the way.

Friends come and go. There is always a reason or a season that a friend is in your life. You hope that some will last a lifetime. The ones you think will last longer often don't, and the ones you think wont, do.

My dearest friend has been a treasure to me. More than she actually knows. In 2003 I decided to change jobs. She was the one who I was placed with. It was like working with myself. For three years we worked together and I was blessed with everything I had hoped for for my career; organisation, support, laughter and experience. Then she left to pastures new and although I was excited for her, I was sad. Friendships take time to blossom and I knew that this was one of the times when I had to water them from afar. I knew we would keep in touch from time to time, but never imagined what a rock she would become.

She was one of the 2 people who held me up when I fell apart. My sister was the other. A broken relationship and a rebound fling gone wrong in the space of 3 months, left me brokenhearted and alone. I spent my time smoking, drinking, crying and very little else. I kept it together at work and no one knew of my heartache, yet when I came home again, the cycle would begin and would continue for another 6 months. They felt like 100 years. To have one's heart broken for the first time at the age of 33 is no mean feat. It destroyed who I was. I was nothing. I built up walls, which are only now becoming to come down thanks to the love and patience of my beloved.

My friend rang, she texted, she spoke words, she said she wished she could help more. In fact, what she did for me was so very much. I felt I was in a tunnel without a light. She brought me a lighted candle. She did this every time we spoke, until there came a time when I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. To say I am grateful to her and my sister for what they did for me is a complete understatement. The love they showed me and continue to do, far outweighs the grains of sand on the shore.

And so, to be asked to be my dearest friends bridesmaid, is more than a privilege. It is such an honour that my heart is swelling with thanks and pride for being asked. I would never ever in my wildest dreams presume to be asked. It was such an immense surprise and because of that I am happy to be part of her day. Today she has made me the happiest little thing in the world.

:)



(Cinderella Picture from a talented artist called Maria Holohan)

No comments: